Spotlighted: Pink Passion Punch, Fish House Punch, West Indian Punch
PINK PASSION PUNCH
From Punches with a Kick
FISH HOUSE PUNCH
liter dark rum
1. Heat some of the water (but not to boiling) and add the sugar to
dissolve it. Let the mixture cool. Blend in lemon juice and the remaining
From My Prime Time
"Fish House Punch"
by W. Blake Gray
Fish House Punch has been around since back when that name actually sounded appetizing. Along with the Revolution, this cocktail was one of the best ideas fomented in Philadelphia in the 1700s, as a standby at the oddly named State in Schuylkill Fishing Club, at which George Washington was a welcome guest.
Though it looks tropical, Fish House Punch is meant to soothe the angst of Valley Forge winter howling outside the door. It's made in large quantities to be consumed with one's club mates. Since we would rather crawl up a flight of stairs than stagger home through a blizzard, we like to serve this one on a night when our guest rooms are fully aired out.
The down side of Fish House Punch is the time required to make it. This classic cocktail dates from an age when men of a certain class had little to do beyond powder their wigs and make appropriate payments to servant girls, though we would not want to imply anything about George Washington. We are sure his wig was completely au naturel.
WEST INDIAN PUNCH
4 cups light rum
Dissolve the sugar and spice in the club soda and pour into punch
bowl over a block of ice.
Hors d'oeuvres Recipes:
medium size avocados, halved
To Serve: French bread, red and green bell pepppers and cured dried beef (bresaola) [we used turkey and prosciutto]
1. Scoop flesh from avocados into a bowl and mash with lemon juice until smooth.
2. Rub inside of fondue pot with cut garlic clove. Pour in wine and heat until bubbly. Over low heat stir in cheese and cook until melted.
3. In a small bowl blend cornstarch and sour cream. Add this and the mashed avaocados to the cheese mixture. Continue to cook, stirring, 4 to 5 minutes or until thick and smooth.
Makes about 6 servings.
To serve: cubes of cheese and thick-sliced cold cuts
1. Melt butter in a medium size saucepan, add mushrooms and garlic and saute over medium heat for 10 minutes.
2. Add broth and simmer 10 minutes. Cool slightly then puree in a blender or food processor.
3. Blend a protion of the whipping cream with cornstarch in fondue pot. Simmer over medium heat until thickened. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Note: Both recipes were doubled. Source: The Book of Fondues. HPBooks, 1988.
First Order of Business:
Reactions to PINK PASSION PUNCH (average 3.75)
Monday: Maybe it's the utter lovliness of the punch fountain but I'm
in LUST with this barbiet [sic] Pink Punch. No grapefruit but you'd
never know it.
Mention: Black Monday's wrist corsage -- and her difficulty explaining -- getting through to the florist exactly what she wanted as she had had a wrist corsage at her high school [prom].
Order of Business:
Monday: George Washington may have liked this punch but he didn't
have any teeth either. Beautiful presentation. Great history. but
slightly underwhelming. [2.5]
Black Monday: Date wanted to dance - Stevie Nicks Gunnie Sax. No hemline/handkerchief hem. Drug deal. Maroon Tuxedo -- Doug G. (made out with Vickie G. [a lot of hair - crunchy blonde]). Chorus line opalescent pink lip gloss. Stuck his thumb in it - pulled down a balloon and attempted to draw Pete Townsend's face on it.
He couldn't get a job at school -- food service -- he wouldn't wear one of those hats. (He's so gay.) (He's definitely gay.)
Kyle S., Kyle M. Out. Gay.
Sapphire de Bombay: Chad G. 8th grade. ICH. Indep. chicks of Hattiesburg. Chicks is disrespectful.
Sadie Hawkins. Social dances. Off the wall. 1st dance. Brick textured background. 8th grade -- fell out of favor with popular group. Went from somethin' to nuthin' . 12th grade -- this is about to end, we should start talking to people.
Blue bridesmaid dress from sister's wedding. Left. Ate chips, dip, soda. Didn't kiss. A friendship date.
Pink Squirrel PSILY: Friend was her date. 14 inches taller than her. She got the band. Psychedelic Furs, Cure..."Killing an Arab." Brother bought her two bottles of wine. Drank one herself. Attempting to walk but not able. Woke up the next am with legs up on dashboard. Hands between legs in parking lot of Denny's. Several pictures. 1st drunk.
Order of Business:
Monday: Brandy's right! It tastes like cake! Cake in a punch cup!
5! 5! 5! 
1. Men's Auxilliary - PUPEC? (Patriarchy United for the ....)
Purpose: to raise money for LIMO to drive us to the Friends of LUPEC party?
2. Naming the drink: Stefanie Kwolak accidently discovered Kevlar, the fabric from which bullet-proof vests are made. She was a graduate in "science" from CMU. She was working for DuPont when she accidently discovered the compound, and so although she is recognized as its inventor, she never received money for her discovery.
The accident was thus; she was trying to create a strong substance, something clear, but when the ingredients were mixed together, the substance was
the drink that we'd like created should be called the "Bullet-Proof
Ideally, the drink will be garnished with a cherry (get it)?
3. Friends of LUPEC party (on a Saturday). Members only from 3-5. Happy hour from 5-7 when drink will be spotlighted.
Problem with CMU/archive not letting us use it?
4. After the first of year, expand to 12?
5. Hostess has to dress? (So much work)
6. Sheryl will host a field trip to the Suburban Room in Dormont
Whiskey Daisy's "Man Fan"